Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Remember when TV used advertising for their profit?

On Thu, 7 Dec 2017 21:16:12 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

I guess the cable content providers figure that they get the same or more money by getting a combo of payment from the cable companies and advertisers. And there is a lot of America where the cable bandwidth is there, but the internet bandwidth could probably not support all those cable customers streaming whatever they please.

There are plenty of people who would prefer to pay the content
provider directly and avoid the ads altogether.
I think that with the use of DVRs you could reduce the load on the
infrastructure by ordering your shows delivered to your DVR, off peak,
at a reduced price and pay full price for things you want streamed in
real time. The only real problem is getting the DRM issues resolved
but the hardware is already there.