Posted to alt.home.repair
notbob notbob is offline

Default Where to get car rear-deck speakers (haven't bought speakers indecades)

On 2017-12-07, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Chains were the way to go years ago but not so much in many places
today.

Agree, Ed.

It's the tires. Michelins are what usta answer, but they also cost a
whole bunch more $$$$!

About 10 yrs ago, I brought my mom out to CA during the Winter. I
drove her 4WD T100 Toyota. Michelins all around.

We got to Truckee Pass and the CHP was turning EVERYONE around to
spend the night in Reno (US 80). After a 5 hr wait, we did like
everyone else and spent the night in Reno.

Next morning was bright and sunny and we'd get to pass, IF we had the
proper equipment. Since it was a 4WD Toyota and was shod with
Michelin all weather tires, we got a pass (over the pass!). I drove
the next 20 miles on green ice. Never took it out of rear wheel drive
(2WD) and passed everyone --except some guy in a 2WD Toyota p/u. He
jes blew past me. Too fast to even see his tires (no chains).

I hit the brakes, once, jes to see what would happen, at speed, on
ice. Damned iff'n that T100 didn't stop like it was on dry pavement.
That sold me on high quality tires.

Unfortunately, Michelin quit making smaller tires. First to go were
13" tires (my pre-90s Civic). Then 14" tires. Not sure what their
min size is, now.

BTW, the brand-new chains we bought in Reno (just in case) are still
in their original canvas bag, unused. I can't give 'em away! 8|

nb