Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default How to dispose of your tools, and books, when no one you know well wants them.

For people expecting to die who have heirs for their money, but no one
in their family or friends who wants their books or their tools or
their office supplies**, what do you plan to do? .. In my case, partly
because most of the people I know are old and my niblings don't live
nearby and are two generations younger than I am with different
interests.

**Don't knock office supplies. My desk is full of good things. How
many of you have a point stick? It's like a yard stick but it's a foot
long and marked in points (1 point, as well as 6 points, as well as
inches and millimeters. I had to go to a printing supply company on
the south side to find that, and even the man there had a bit of trouble
finding it (though it is now for sale online.)

I have a lot of interesting books on various subjects, but no single
person would be interested in more than one or two sections of the
books.

The clothes and the furniture, whatever is still usable, could all go to
Goodwill.

There is a scene in the movie... What's that movie from the 60's set in
Greece with Melina Mercouri and a very popular theme song? ... where
someone dies and the other people of the town storm her house as a mob
and grab everything she had. I wouldn't mind that, except some people
will take tools they can't use and books they'll never read. Some will
take anything just to sell it, and I wouldn't mind that either if they
only came after others had taken things they at least might use.