Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Floor tiles for bodge job

On 07/12/17 00:48, Bill wrote:
We have a new washing machine coming next week to replace the old one
which has been leaking for years.
The floor tiles around it are broken and some had started to lift, so I
have removed some of them.
They are what I know of as composite tiles 300 x 300 mm by 2 mm thick
laid directly onto the concrete floor.

"She" had a flooring company round, who obviously don't want to take on
the job, and who have failed to produce the promised estimate. They say
the obviously gappy black glue under the tiles was a damp course, so any
new tiles would need a layer of impervious gunge underneath.

About 5 or 6 years ago I went to somewhere like Poundland and replaced
one broken tile with a 300 x 300 x 1mm stick-on tile. It has been
excellent, is still stuck and looks fine.

I want to get something down by next week. The flooring company can't
start till next year, and I expect their estimate for vinyl sheet
flooring will be way over our budget.

Looking at a quick bodge of about 3 sq metres of stick on tiles, they
all now seem to be 305x305, but do come in up to 1.5 mm thickness. Is
there any real reason not to just grab a few boxes of these and stick
them down before we level up the new washing machine on them?

Can't see any problems with that.

The only thing is - dragging the machine out may catch on the edges and
lift them.

A section of vinyl (also stuck down with evostik type adhesive) might be
a better bet.