Default I want to use my fireplace as the primary room heat source - using gas! - How?

"Jo" wrote

this doesn't seem like a radical request but I want to use the big
fireplaces that I have in my house for the primary heat source so that
I can discard the central heating system and especially the radiators
that stop me putting furniture against the walls they blot.

Have you checked how this will affect the property value? My guess is that
removing central heating altogether might reduce it considerably. Most
people seem to demand it these days even if they also want a fire or
fireplace for aesthetic reasons.

I suggest pretending you are planning on selling and inviting an estate
agent or two around for a valuation and discussion of the options. You may
find that keeping the central heating, while investing in a suitable
replacement for the awkward radiators, may save money in the long term.
There are many different radiator designs these days, and replacing those
you have with something more discrete could be worthwhile.

Barbara