Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Default Remove mono lever cartridge from vertically mounted tap

larkim Wrote in message:
I've got a mono-lever tap on a bathroom basin which is mounted vertically onto the porcelain (the basin is one piece with a "shelf" integrated into it).

I'm presuming the tap fitting came with the basin, it predates my ownership of the house.

It's dripping and I want to swap out the cartridge.

Removed the tap head gear last night but then stalled when I came to seeing what I needed to do next.

I'm imagining that I need to remove the sleeve which will then give me access to slide out the cartridge (assuming its a fairly standard part), but the sleeve had a decorative cover which came off easily (probably wasn't mean to) revealing a plastic / nylon sleeve underneath apparently retaining a plastic / nylon top of the cartridge.

On attempting to twist any bit of it, the whole tap assembly rotated, which I'm guessing is "not a good thing" so I rotated back.

Any hints on freeing these sorts of things up? It's a bit caked in mild scale having being in place for probably about 15 years, but I don't really want to end up damaging it, and with it being plastic mole grips didn't seem the idea choice. It's also "domed" so getting anything around it feels challenging.

Any hints? I've got WD40 in the house, and other solvents. Any use on this sort of scenario?

I think a pic really would help here...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----