volts500

Default Blower on furnace hums and doesn't start

wrote in message
On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 00:00:41 GMT, "volts500"
wrote:

Looks like you're the one who needs to go to school, son. Classic motor
start symptoms and you gotta make like it's a some kinda trade secret.

First off, I'm not your son, you stupid mother****er.

"Fan turns effortlessly"...bearings? locked rotor? NOT!

Oh, you think worn loose slack bearings don't turn
'effortlessly' ? Until they bind up under start torque ?

See, that wasn't so hard now, was it? You _can_ make a contribution!

Motor getting power? Well, it's humming. Gee Wally, do you 'pose we

should

check the cap?

This poster asks :

If I turn off the heat (i.e. not on heat or
cool), and turn the fan to "on", it just hums (the other furnace

works
fine and the fan will run). There is a solenoid that clicks, then

the
humming.

Does this somehow give you the impression that he owns a
capacitance meter, or knows how to use one ? Or how to check a cap
some other way if he doesn't ?

Must be _another_ trade secret, huh? Don't worry, I won't tell him that
when the leads of an ohmmeter are applied one way across the terminals that
the needle will deflect and slowly fall, then switch the leads and there
should be no needle deflection if the cap is good. Then check each terminal
to the case. I'll also be sure not to tell him (as also mentioned by
others) that the simplest cap test is to replace it since replacement caps
are so inexpensive that he doesn't need to bother testing it in the first
place..........mum's the word now, ya hear?

From the OP's obvious unfamiliarity with the unit, do you have
a great deal of confidence in his ability to tell where the 'hum' is
actually coming from ? Gee, could it maybe be a contactor he's
hearing ?

Again, I knew you help the guy out! That's already been mentioned, but it
counts.........that's 5, still have 95 to go though.

He needs someone who knows how to fix simple little problems
like this to come in and fix it.

Thanks to your (and other's) helpful comments, he may not have to do that
now. What a concept. Who'd a thunk it. For an asshole like you, who
claims not to get out of bed for less than $500, was it really necessary to
jerk the guy around?