Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] millinghill@yahoo.com is offline

Default Drylock paint too?

HI,
My homes water well is accessible from within my basement in a concrete room surrounded by earth on 5 sides (the 6th side being accessible from within my basement via a door). This room is covered by 3-6€ of soil above, and has a concrete slab roof with a steel hatch through which the well was originally drilled. When I waterproofed the perimeter of my basement 5 years ago, I exposed this room down to the houses footer/toe drain, cleaned all concrete surfaces, applied asphaltic coating and impermeable membrane, and backfilled. This has kept liquid water out ever since, but that well room is still €œdamp€ from time to time. I store nothing in there. It houses my (jet) pump, and a pressure tank for the house. Now that Ive finished my basement as living space, I installed a door on this room to limit the pump noise, and general dampness.

Question: should I bother to also apply a coating of Drylock or other concrete sealer to the interior of this room, and maybe the floor too? Would that help with minimizing the humidity, or just money thrown away?
All opinions appreciated.

Thanks
Theodore