Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Cursitor Doom[_4_] Cursitor Doom[_4_] is offline

Default Grundig Melody Boy 500

On Sun, 03 Dec 2017 12:59:49 -0800, wrote:

On Sunday, December 3, 2017 at 8:01:47 AM UTC-5, Foxs Mercantile wrote:

Dried out aluminum electrolytic capacitors.

--
Jeff-1.0 wa6fwi
http://www.foxsmercantile.com

What he wrote - AND BEFORE screwing around with slugs filters and/or any
other 'adjustables" in the radio - unless you really do want to split a
slug, break something and utterly destroy it. Either the caps are bad,
or they are bad after 40 years, or they are bad out of sheer cussedness.
And as there are no other variables that would explain the increasing
deafness of the radio, start with the obvious (and necessary) before
risking anything else.

Well, I can't argue with that philosophy; I'm all for trying the simple
things first. I can't remember the last time I ran this radio off a
battery, but I'll get one in the morning and try powering it up with
that. I'm not sure how dried electrolytics could explain the symptoms I'm
getting but am happy to at least eliminate that possibility first and
this is the easiest way of going about it.