Default GFCI Failures + Gadgets

Gary Tait wrote:

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 07:27:25 GMT, wrote:

Gary Tait wrote:

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 22:03:14 GMT, "Jeff"
wrote:

It would be incpnvenient to wait for the Poco to reset it. The best
thing would be a whole house GFCI, as is oftern used in most of the
rest of the world.

Whole house GFI? Where is this "rest of the world"? GFI'ing a whole house
would be stupid.

In actuality, they are often set up to protect only recptacle
circuits.

What does the word "they" refer to - a "whole house GFCI" ??

Yes.

In actuality, there is no such thing that could be set up
to protect only receptacle circuits. You can protect 1 branch
circuit at a time with a GFI breaker or a GFCI receptacle.
With a GFCI receptacle, you can also protect only a part of
the circuit. A GFCI receptacle can be installed such that it
protects all outlets wired downstream of it, or only itself.
There's no such thing as a "whole house GFCI" in any event.

Have you seen a European DIN panel setup?

No.

With the way they can be configured you can have certain groups of
circuits protected, others not.

Ok, so if I understand it, "whole house" really isn't
whole house - its all the receptacle circuits in
the house, in the context you use.

Does this "whole house" GFI trip at 5 mA fault current?
For the record, I'm talking about ground fault protection
for people. If the "whole house" protection trips at a
level that could be harmful to people, then it is not
the "best thing", as we are discussing in this part of
the thread, which started with:
"It would be incpnvenient to wait for the Poco to reset it.
The best thing would be a whole house GFCI, as is oftern used
in most of the rest of the world." from Gary Tait's post.