TURTLE

Default Copper pipe for Natural gas?

"Henry B." wrote in message
news:Go3wb.13430$yM6.11712@lakeread06...
I salvaged a hot water heater burner which I attchewd to a strong metal
stand as a NG burner for boiling outdoors in which I will connect it up to
the gas line which I have on the back porch.The fitting on the gas line of
the burner is a flanged end with a nut above it as in a compression

fitting
but it is NOT a compression fitting.The local HD plumbing guy is fairly
knowledgeable and he suggested that I may have to remove this fitting and
try a compression fitting but he did not have one that he was sure would
work..I'm wondering if I could just sweat on some Cu pipe since it will

not
be constantly filled with Ng,only when I use it.
--
Hank

This is Turtle.

I would suggest using the flare fittings to connect to the gas line to the
burner. You can go to any auto supply places like O'Reilly's or Auto zone
and get you qa flaring tool block and flaring head to make a flare to screw
a flare nut on the burner. You don't have to weld anything on it but just
get you a flare ended flex hose from any hardware store and screw it on
there and buy you a 3/8" compression end on one end and pipe threads on the
other. then you just stat running from the 3/8" , 1/2" or what ever end you
choose to run your line back to the NG system.

If your not going to use the pilot lite feature of the burner you can use
copper tubing to supply the NG for you will have open bore lines to keep the
copper oxide down and not be a problem.

Now here is another note here on the hot water tank burner for cooking and
boiling with pots. The burn will be high enough for cooking food and
regular needs for cooking but you will not have enough btu output to boil
crawfish or fry Turkey in 25 gal pots with the burner you have. you will be
limited to just plain cooking and no heavy boiling activity. This is why
open bore propane burners are needed to get the very high btu output to boil
crawfish and fry turkeys.

TURTLE

TURTLE