Posted to uk.d-i-y
Vir Campestris Vir Campestris is offline

Default Tow limits (was OT Don't quite see how this'll work???)

On 01/12/2017 12:56, Bill wrote:
OK, but my first LR 110 with its ancient, low powered but utterly
reliable 2.25 petrol engine could barely reach motorway speeds on its
own, let alone keep up.

A reliable Landrover???

It was rated for towing 3.5 tons and we towed lower weights with it
fine. I always thought that the towing rating was based on structural
strength and weight of the towing vehicle rather than power.

AIUI it's based on restarting on a 1 in 3 hill. With 4WD and low ratio
they can produce a ridiculously large force. Just not at any speed.

A heavy hybrid 4 x 4 might not be for me, it seems.

I didn't realise until after we'd bought it that my wife's new car won't
allow a towbar. I only need to tow 200Kg FFS...

Andy