Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Casting lead weights

Sounds a bit dangerous. Much fuming during this melt. Lead fumes not good.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Lobster" wrote in message
. 236...
I recently attempted to convert 1 kg of old lead piping in my 'scrap' store
into a nice neat 1 kg weight for exercising a damaged shoulder. Was
trying to make a cylindrical shape; I know naff-all about casting but
melted it down on my gas hob in a baked-bean can, with the aid of a
blowlamp. Wrongly hoping that it would not be hot enough to melt a
plastic wastepipe, I then poured the molten lead into a short length of
it,
which promptly splayed outwards providing me with a very mishappen
plastic-
encased lump of lead! It does weight 1 kg at least; but I'd like to have
another crack at it.

Other than the obvious, searching for a length of suitable metal pipe to
use as a mould, anyone got any better ideas? (bearing in mind my level of
expertise and available kit?!)

Thanks