Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default EPROM copier/programmer advice please

On Thu, 30 Nov 2017 15:12:01 -0800, John Robertson
wrote:

On 2017/11/30 3:09 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 30 Nov 2017 11:56:10 -0800, John Robertson
wrote:

On 2017/11/30 9:33 AM,
wrote:
I have several EPROMs from the 1980s that I would like to copy so that
I will have backups. I see all sorts of readers/programmers online and
on eBay but I don't know what to avoid or buy. I have EPROMs that I
can practice with. They are good as far as I know but the info in them
is for a different machine. So I was thinking I could copy one, then
program a new one with the copied data, and then compare the two to
make sure all the data was copied correctly. I am assuming that the
software I use to copy and write will also have the ability to compare
the two devices. I may be wrong. In about a month the machine I am
most worried about will be free for long enough for me to do the
copying process. I do know how to handle the boards properly to avoid
static and other damage and I do have a nice tool made for removing
and inserting the devices. Any advice or suggestions?
Thanks,
Eric

Hi Eric,

It all depends on the chip. For example - 2716s - most Eprom programmers
can still read those, however if you have 2532s that is harder to find a
reader for. 2732s, 2764s, and later almost any inexpensive device (Wilem
for example) will read those.

If you have 2708s then you will have to buy a legacy Eprom programmer to
read those unless you are adept at making interface modules - you have
to provide +12 and -5 for 2708s. Earlier still devices, and PROMs again
need more specialized reader/programmers.

Most of the 70s games are archived and not too hard to find via MAME.
Which games are you trying to back up?

Or you can talk to someone like my shop where we can read and program
devices right back to 1702As so we could read your chips and give you a
copy of the archive. Not free I'm afraid! Cost depends on the device read.

John :-#)#

The machine in question is a CNC lathe with a Fanuc control. Neither
Fanuc or Miyano, the lathe manufacturer, have any more EPROMs.
Eric

So, what are the part numbers of the EPROMs? Chances are it is fairly
modern, and indeed you want to archive those!

I'd archive them for you if you want to make me a small injection mold
or two (ducking).

John :-#)#

Greetings John,
I'll get part numbers tomorrow and post them. All the EPROMs in my
Fanuc controls are, I think, the same part.
After I read the EPROMs I would also like to look at what is
written in them. In particular some of them have ladders. I spoke with
Miyano, who wrote the ladders for the lathe, and they don't have any
records of what was written. But I'm not sure if I am going to need
special software to make sense of what was written.
I want to do this because the Miyano lathe didn't come with a rapid
override switch or a spindle override switch. Or even a spindle stop
switch that works when the lathe is running a program. These features
are all options for the control and the machine tool maker decides
which ones to use.
The machine moves very fast in rapid, has a 15 hp spindle, and
crashes are nerve wracking. This machine is the only CNC machine I
have seen that does not have a rapid override. Setups with a new
program always make me nervous.

Thanks,
Eric