Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default So how much power does an oil filled radiator actually use.

On Thursday, 30 November 2017 15:08:20 UTC, charles wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 30 November 2017 14:06:55 UTC, charles wrote:

You don't understand much about meters do you. This is a two digit
display so it shows an average over time. So all it can display 49Hz
50Hz 51Hz etc...

so if the freuency is 50.5Hz it's display 50 for a second then 51 for
a second. At home and work it does the same although at work is only
displays 51 for about 1 in 5 or so seconds.

The mains frequency doesn't change like that.

What do you mean like that ? Like what ?

varying by the second

I never said it varied by the second.
I have no idea how often it varies it could be far shorter than a second or are you claiming it varies ever hopur or day or week.
I stated what the display read, NOTHING more.

https://wwwhome.ewi.utwente.nl/~ptde...isc/mains.html

This 50 or 60 Hz is not perfectly stable, due to the continuously changing load of the power grid and the generator's reaction to load changes.

And it rarely gets to 51.5Hz

I;'ve NEVER seen it get to 51.5Hz and I;ve never said it gets to 51.5Hz
so where are you getting those figures from ?

my error, I should have typed 50.5

I've never seen it at 50.5Hz either.

I checked gridwatch before sending this and it was 50.0662Hz
now it is at 49.885Hz

except occasionally in the middle of the night to make up for a spell
of 49.5 during the day.

So what would a two digit meter display at these times ?

It should show 50.

yes it should and it does for most of the time.
I understand that the accuracy of such things is limited usualy to the least significant digit ansd it doesnlt suprise me that this fluctuates in teh same way a 9V battery does when it show a voltage of fluctuates between 9.59 and 9.60V on the 20V scale, on the 200V scale it's 09.6V on the 1000V scale 009V
are yuo suggesting there's something wrong with my 9V battery (PP3) ?

or perhaps the meter(s)....
I have about 100 of them but I'm not testing them all and sending back those that don;t agree to the exact mv.