Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael A Terrell Michael A Terrell is offline

Default isolation transformer

wrote:

c) Any unnecessary equipment adds a degree of unnecessary complexity - and with it an opportunity for error. I have a 110/220 step-up/down transformer purchased in Saudi Arabia with no markings at all. It came with a Euro/US adaptor that could plug into either side. So, I engraved "High Side" and "Low Side" on. Imagine me going the 'wrong way' in actual use. Not so bad going from 110 to 55 volts. But 220 - 440 V, not so good either.

That transformer would saturate and either blow a fuse, or overheat
if you fed 220 into a 110 winding, unless it is way over designed. It
would be a 220 to 440 transformer being used at a lower voltage if it
could handle 220 on the 110 winding.