Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default Cypress Chair Design Errors, Maybe

On Wednesday, November 29, 2017 at 1:44:08 PM UTC-6, Iggy wrote:
Yes, I agree that the legs and back should be taller or longer. But,
you can simply put feet on the legs, like a Ball and Claw sort of thing or
even join the fronts and backs with a Sled Runner under them.

I should have given a little more info. It's not the legs that are too short. Actually, at the moment, they are too long. I plan to cut them to best length, later. Once I contour the seat, then I'll trim the legs, so that the seat height is 19" off the floor. I think, at the moment, the top of the seat height is about 22" off the floor. Presently, the seat is 2"+ stock and I'll gouge the seating area to 1.25" thick, there abouts.

The seat is presently 28" wide. That's too wide and that's why the chair looks squat. I can trim the seat sides, 1.5" each side, but the splayed feet will stick out the side edges too much. I plan to rip out about 3" of the center section of the seat, hence, alter the central backrest slat.... Correcting this alteration on the subsequent chair seats, before slat placement.

One of my initial reasons for the seat being so wide is to have plenty of space for installing comma shaped arms, a' la, https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...in/photostream
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...in/photostream
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...in/photostream
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...in/photostream,
and I didn't want the arm supports to displace any leg/hip/seating space. But 28" is too wide, I've now realized, even for installing arms.

Sonny