BigWallop

Default How to find earth

"John Asdf" wrote in message
news:86d34315853044846a8e525fbb387c33.22215@mygate .mailgate.org...
Hi,

I'm trying to put up some new wall lights and it would appear that the
three wires are not correctly identified - can anyone tell me a simple
way to find which of the two low potential wires is earth - only tool
I've got access to is a multimeter.

Is it simply the case that I need to connect a cable to the outside
earth (pole in the ground) to one terminal of the multimeter and the
other to each of the offending wires coming out of the wall (the zero
volts ones) and choose the lowest resisance one.

Out of interest what would the consequences be if I connected these
incorrectly (no RCD or earth leakage trips in the fusebox)

Thanks
John

Find out at the switch end. Are the cables to switch colour coded correctly
? Does the switch have both live and neutral from the main lighting circuit
passing through it ?

If you do find both live and neutral at the switch, then it is just a case
of putting your multimeter on Ohms check, and test between each end of the
pieces of cable going to where the light fittings are.

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com