Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Tim R[_2_] Tim R[_2_] is offline

Default Generator harmonics question(s)

On Monday, November 27, 2017 at 7:03:48 PM UTC-5, John-Del wrote:
On Monday, November 27, 2017 at 6:30:13 PM UTC-5, Jon Elson wrote:

Also, in the early days, they ran the alternators off steam engines, and the
AC had a definite pulsation with each stroke of the piston.

Jon

I would have thought they'd be using a nearly infinite mass flywheel to stave off power pulses.

We had a power plant on site with huge diesel generators, low speed (300 rpm). They did have huge flywheels. I never knew how clean the power was. They were built to power an entire block of buildings, but by this time they were peak shaving only, and have since been scrapped. Very impressive, the floor shook when they ran.