Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default So how much power does an oil filled radiator actually use.

On Tuesday, 28 November 2017 16:46:59 UTC, T i m wrote:
On Tue, 28 Nov 2017 07:52:22 -0800 (PST), whisky-dave
wrote:

snip

Not that substanbdard it's our standard. Only those that are non standard get 240V.

Strange that, just checked my power monitor and it's 239V

Yep that is correct for domestic supply.
Which doesn't apply here.

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/etc/guid...timisation.php
We had to come in line with teh EU so that meant 230V, then managment needed promoting so they decide that they;d put in a system to save power and therefore money by installing an auto-transfomer which took us down to just below 220V.

Yup, substandard, especially under any decent load.

Standard for us and within the tolerance expected.

The second stage of European harmonisation was due to happen from 1st January 2003. This was 230V +/-10%, i.e. to be between 207 to 253V.

his is due, in a large part that due to the so called harmonisation of supply voltages in Europe all new low voltage appliances are designed to operate at 230V or even 220V. Therefore it can be seen that much equipment designed to be operated at 230V and 220V may be being supplied with a voltage above this if we consider that the UK average supply voltage is 242V, much higher than is needed.

and as the majority of equipment comes to us from the EU.

And as all the equipemnt is just working fine.

The point was it might be better to get what you can than not get what
you can't.

whatever that means.

Ok, for the hard of thinking ... (yes, that's you dave) it may be
better to get a consistent 1300W than an intermittent 700+1300W,
depending on the cycle duty cycle.

well that;s bloody obvious isn't it.
Which is why I 'set' it to 2KW and not 700W or 1300W .

eg, If you get 2000W for 2 hours and then it drops to 700W for 2 hours
then the average will be 700W and 2000W for that 4 hour period. IF
putting it on heat level II(1300W) meant it didn't trip the overtemp
stat you might get 1300W continuously for the entire 4 hours.

I think that is unlikely.

We don't want hot radiators we want the room to be hot preferably, that is what efficincy is about.

Bwhahahaha ... you really don't have an effing clue do you? Are you
anywhere near a science teacher to ask them to teach you all about
basic thermodynamics?

Still talking **** I see.

Do yuo actually know what these things are used for ?

Yes, that's why I'm trying to teach you.

yuor the one that was suggesting I send working heaters back because you didn't know how they worked.

Liar.

So why did yuo think they were faulty. ?

Why did you contact salesd aledgly to help me and get a wrong result ?

Remember the sale you contacted who told you to send it back.

Liar.

you contacted sales it said so in the email you copied to me.