Posted to alt.home.repair
mike[_22_] mike[_22_] is offline

Default Tecumseh help

On 11/26/2017 8:55 PM, Steve Kraus wrote:
I got it to sputter like it was firing on a few turns but no vrooom. I did
the old as well. This is with many pushes of the primer or shooting some
gas in with a syringe.

I think I will eventually need to drill and tap the intake tube opening on
the block as it seems on the verge of stripping. I know air getting drawn
in will screw things up but for now I am convinced that is not the issue as
I do have it fairly tight and I had already put on a new gasket but now
I've got sealant as well. Also, shooting several CC's of gas would richen
it massively.

So someone said to check the flywheel key:

This is what I see. Is that off? And if it is is it enough to prevent
operation?

http://home.earthlink.net/~filmteknik70mm/flywheel.jpg

I can get a new magento assembly for about $12-13. Is weak spark
sufficiently likely to make that worth a try? My other mower also has a
Tecumseh engine. If they are the same or similar it might be a simple swap
to see if that's the issue.

I've never seen one like that. All mine have the same width slot
in the shaft and the flywheel. Yours seems off, but it looks like
it was designed that way with an offset key.

FWIW, all my Tecumseh starting problems have been carburetor related.
I've soaked them in carb cleaner in an ultrasonic cleaner, then put
in a new kit with no improvement.
Done the same a second time with no improvement.

Put Seafoam in the gas. Waited a week.
Starts a lot easier. Still won't start with
the electric starter, but does if I pull the rope really hard.

I have a 40 year old Briggs lawnmower engine that still starts like new.
I won't buy another engine with a tecumseh carb.