Posted to rec.woodworking
OFWW[_5_] OFWW[_5_] is offline

Default Old fashioned wood planes verses router

On Sun, 26 Nov 2017 20:47:53 -0500, "John Grossbohlin"
wrote:

"OFWW" wrote in message ...

On Sat, 25 Nov 2017 19:02:05 -0500, "John Grossbohlin"
wrote:

"OFWW" wrote in message

On Thu, 23 Nov 2017 16:54:58 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

It's not the seeing, it's the knowing. ;-)

If that's not the truth.

You guys need to trade in your 21st century lenses for some 18th century
lenses... ;~)

I hear you, but it is still in the knowing. Not so much in things like
production runs but in the one offs. In those days there were not a
lot of home tooling that was anywhere near exact as we have now, and
given the chance they would have loved to brought up their standards,
rather than just making it fit.

The best of the craftsman in those days were paid handsomely for their
beauty and symmetry of exactness. to the best of their ability.

My reference point is journeymen 18th century tradesman... my former
co-workers. ;~) None of their work was crude. I wasn’t even considering the
rough work that may have been done by non-professionals at home...

I recall a visit from master engraver Lynton McKenzie. This guy was world
renowned (now deceased) and I was dumb struck when he praised Wallace
Gusler's engraving skill. This because Wallace used what Lynton described as
a sharpened nail to do his work whereas he himself used the finest hand
engraving tools and fixtures available. The notion that tools were a
limitation to quality and fineness quickly faded away as I watched
journeymen work and saw the fineness of their work. I learned a lot from
them...

One of Wallace's guns... hand forged and filed barrel, lock, etc.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/79/a8...9ed227bbfc.jpg

Stunningly beautiful. In Paris I went through the armory wherein were
many weapons of every type available. Including the suits of armor. It
was all amazing, from the prototype canons (working) to the full sized
and no lathes to turn them. The engravings, etc.

No, I don't shun any of them for any reason, wood workers, etc. The
speed with which they could do what they could shows me their
experienced skill and craftsmanship.