Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Leaf Blower Starting Question

On Sun, 26 Nov 2017 15:28:48 -0800 (PST), Uncle Monster
wrote:

On Sunday, November 26, 2017 at 2:18:55 PM UTC-6, wrote:
On Sun, 26 Nov 2017 19:44:02 GMT, Iggy
m wrote:

replying to trader_4, Iggy wrote:
Yep, that's what happens when you don't question and just do as you're told.
Mine too and everything I've ever used says to prime. My primer's clear and
you can see the fuel in there, which is why I tried it. I tried it and it
worked exactly the same, I never went back to priming. By depressing the
throttle you're letting the carb do its job and you can't flood it. I've never
had a single problem from it.

The only function of the primer is to get enough gas in the carburetor
to get it to start. If the diaphragm "valves" (the ones under the big
screw) in the cheap assed Walbro are working at all the fuel will be
flowing as soon as it starts as long as the other rubber diaphragm
under the 4 screws is not punctured.

To get the most reliable operation for small engines, I bought gasoline that had no ethanol in it. It's been a while since I was able to do any yard work but I searched for and found a service station that sold alcohol-free gas. The station sold a lot of gasoline to landscaping and yard maintenance companies. ?(?)?

That is only a problem if you store gas. The Walbro carbs have no
problem with ethanol and of you don't let it sit around it will not
phase separate. I have a boat and it has burned nothing but E-10 since
that became the cheapest gas. We are 12 month boaters so the gas keeps
moving, My lawn equipment uses gas in that fuel stream. If a can I
mixed starts getting old, it goes in the boat, oil and all but I try
not to keep "lawn" gas. I always have fresh boat gas in the shed.

Tip: get a 10 CC syringe from the drug store (they might just give it
to you). That is 50:1 in a 1/2 liter of gas. Check your machine's tank
volume and do a little arithmetic. A tank of gas is X cc of oil. Mix
it right in the tank. I wrote on the machines with a sharpie pen.
If I am not cutting up a hurricane's worth of downed trees or
something, I mix a tank of gas at a time and dump it out when I am
done. Run it till it stops.
Pour that dumped out gas into something you will be using.
A couple of CCs of oil in your car or boat will not even be noticed