Posted to sci.electronics.repair
bud-- bud-- is offline

Default NE-2 neon bulbs

On 11/9/2017 9:03 AM, Foxs Mercantile wrote:
On 11/9/2017 8:35 AM, wrote:
Another thing I always wondered about these small neon lamps, is how
come they were always that yellow color. Neon signs have all sorts of
colored neon gasses.

Neon plasma is red-orange.

The depth of your ignorance never fails to amaze me.

https://sciencing.com/gases-used-neon-signs-5581339.html

A late reply...

I'm not particularly impressed by the link information.
Yes you can use other noble gasses in a "neon" sign.
I don't think the other gasses are used much.

Actual "neon" signs are transparent glass, and you can see the plasma
discharge in the center of the tube.

Almost all the other signs have argon to strike, and a small amount of
mercury, which vaporizes. The mercury arc produces UV. The inside of the
tubes have a phosphor for the color produced. You can not see through
the tube (to what is behind it). They are cold cathode fluorescent lights.

---