Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default LED bulbs won't turn off in outdoor light/motion sensor base.

On Sunday, November 26, 2017 at 2:14:08 PM UTC-5, Toolworker wrote:
replying to swak.leete, Toolworker wrote:
I have an X10 PR511 floodlight unit that's driving me nuts. Most cycles, the
lamps in the unit remain on. I replaced it with another one bought on eBay and
it fails similarly. I did have one LED and one CF bulb in it. I'll replace
the CF with an incandescent and report back.

I tested the unit I removed using just one indoor LED bulb and it seemed to
turn off reliably, so I don't think it's the wattage. It could be
interference from some LED or CF bulbs.

Has anyone tried to update their unit? I started to open it up, intending to
replace the electrolytic capacitors, but got to where a ribbon cable had to be
removed, got leery and put it aside.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...se-860658-.htm

X10 is well known to be far from reliable. It's OK for some apps, when
you understand that. IDK what your specific problem is, but most of
the load specific problems come from many of these devices relying on
using the load
path to power themselves, ie, they don't have a neutral connection.
That works fine when you have an incandescent load that's 40W+ but not
when you have a CFL or LED load that's a small switching power supply.
If that's the problem, then putting one small incandescent in the circuit
will fix it. Of course, that may not be a real solution, eg if you have
4 outdoor lights by a garage, having one incandescent and 3 LEDs may not
be acceptable appearance wise.