Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default canbus

wrote in message
news
On Thu, 23 Nov 2017 19:17:33 +0000, "dennis@home"
wrote:

I would buy one tomorrow if they existed and I had the cash.
Not everyone wants to have to concentrate on driving in queues when they
could be doing something else.
Why do you think chauffeurs exist?

Polish the car between journeys so it presents the right impression,
open the doors so the owner feels important and has their status
confirmed ,guard the car so anything left in it is at less risk of
being nicked . Act as a sympathetic ear if the owner wants some light
conversation, do the odd errand like going to a shop to get something
while the owner is in a meeting.
Allows the owner to imbibe alcohol without having to restrict the
intake to drive.
Driverless cars will be nice for a lot of people but I think those who
have chauffeurs will prefer to retain them.

I wonder if driverless cars will allow somebody
to be taken home from a night at the pub

Corse they will, just like taxis and ubers are free to do now.

or if any future regulations to allow the operation
of them will still require someone in charge and
in a fit state to make decisions if required.

No need if they have a mode where they just stop
somewhere safe if the **** hits the fan with the system
and say there is system included that decides that one
of the occupants is trying to make it do something stupid.

Heavy aircraft already have that with one of the pilots
trying to do something stupid, they just get ignored.