Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin[_4_] John Grossbohlin[_4_] is offline

Default Old fashioned wood planes verses router

"OFWW" wrote in message ...

My question is, when using my router to do the same thing I don't ever
remember the shapes being that smooth, so do the hand planes cut the
shapes as smooth as a flat plane does?

If equally sharp, generally yes they would leave a comparably smooth
surface. The biggest problem with molding planes is that you typically
cannot change direction to deal with the grain so tear out and grain related
chatter can become an issue. With rounds and hollows you might be able
change direction... but not always as the relationship between the iron and
body of the plane can affect things, i.e., the iron would have to be
perfectly centered if you are using an edge or straight edge to guide the
plane, and the iron would have to be perfectly symmetrical so the cuts would
match up perfectly. Then again, just how perfect does it really have to be?
If you don't notice the variance from 5-10 feet away it probably doesn't.