Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

Default diesel

"dennis@home" wrote in message
web.com...
On 23/11/2017 17:41, Terry Casey wrote:

A few months later I was talking to another retired man who
had fallen into the diesel trap and paying heavily for the
mistake.

Don't these people read the manual so they know what the warning you get
about the filter means?
You just need a quick run at about 50 when the *warning light* comes on.

Didn't work for me: it was the first thing I tried when the light came on.
The verdict of the garage was (I'm paraphrasing!) "if that doesn't turn the
light off, the DPF is buggered".

However 150,000 miles on a DPF isn't *too* bad. At least I haven't had to
shell out for other expensive things like new clutch and new "fan belt"
(times 2 *) on this car, unlike the previous one. I've never had a car
before that is still on its original clutch after 170,000 miles, so Peugeot
are doing something right :-)

(*) On my last car, the fan belt failed just as I was about to come off a
motorway, so I was able to limp to a petrol station to wait for the RAC man,
tugging the steering wheel to compensate for lack of power steering. My
local garage replaced that belt (at a hefty cost) and a few thousand miles
later that belt failed. This time I took the car to a main dealer and they
found that one of the pulleys had a warped flange which could well have
caused the first failure and almost certainly caused the second. But my
local garage wouldn't pay up for failing to detect the *reason* for the
first belt's failure and the fact that it would cause the second belt to
fail, so I stopped using that garage or recommending them to people.
*******s!