Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default diesel

On 22/11/2017 19:21, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Wed, 22 Nov 2017 18:39:18 -0000, "NY" wrote:

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
ha ha glad I never bought a diesel car....

Glad we've already got diesel cars, one of which will last a good long time
(it's 15 reg) and the other should last a while yet (it's 08 reg) before
needing to be replaced, and I may replace the 08 car with electric since it
is used for short journeys which are within the current pitifully small
range of electrics.

I bought diesel because it's cheaper to run (the improved mpg outweighs the
slightly higher cost per litre of fuel) and because I prefer driving a
diesel.

Much the same here. We have a small diesel, 1.4l, now thirteen years
old (Dec 05 reg), so no filters or fancy electronics controlling the
exhaust. Still going well (just passed it's MOT with nothing requiring
attention). I see no need to replace it yet, and when we do, it'll
probably be a small electric as we only do short journeys. By then,
the battery development should have improved a bit and I quite fancy
the technology; nothing to do with global warming or reducing CO2.

My 06 Focus developed too many expensive problems last year and it was
time to change it. I went for a petrol this time, not because I expect
significantly higher duty on diesel, increased car tax or the like, but
because I can see court decisions about pollution making many cities
slap huge, per day charges on older diesels as London has already.

SteveW