Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default So how much power does an oil filled radiator actually use.

On Wed, 22 Nov 2017 21:38:47 +0000, ARW
wrote:

snip
I am also by no means convinced there is any evidence of a defect
(except for the marketing problem that they probably can't provide more
than about 1kW of space heating at normal room temperature despite being
marked 2kW.)

No, you may well be right but that might at least open up a trading
standards question?

Stick it in the garden and see how much power it draws.

I believe dave has already told us it didn't overtemp trip when a fan
was left blowing on it.

The issue is, how would one *expect* such a heater to behave under
'ordinary' conditions?

Let's say this heater is considered a domestic one and that say the
typical room temperature it was supposed to attain was 20 DegC then I
think most people would 'expect' it to give off 2kW worth of heat
continuously till that temperate was achieved?

I had a similar sort of discussion with a manager of one of the sheds
when I took a 'Desk lamp' back for replacement because the base had
started to melt!

It had actually been used to illuminate a small tropical fish tank, (I
fitted a clear plastic window in the lid) but whilst standing on a
desk and only for the sort of periods one might typically have a desk
lamp on in the evening.

He *tried* to say that it wasn't for that purpose but also couldn't
define where 'that purpose' was excluded anywhere on the box or in the
instructions.

When I asked him for his name as Trading Standards would probably ask
me who I spoke to, he suddenly changed his mind and allowed me to get
a replacement as an offer of 'goodwill'. I suggested that if this one
failed under the exact same circumstances (and didn't burn the house
down) I'd be back, probably *with* the Trading Standards Officer. ;-)

I even asked him to confirm that he was suggesting that this desk lamp
could only be used on a desk but only for a specified period (no
mention of that in the handbook) but he quickly backtracked on that.
;-)

I volunteered to buy another and possibly more expensive one, if he
suggested that the one I bought wasn't able to do as it described and
I required but he (then) wouldn't (of course). ;-)

Cheers, T i m