Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Hayter[_2_] Roger Hayter[_2_] is offline

Default So how much power does an oil filled radiator actually use.

T i m wrote:

On Wed, 22 Nov 2017 09:08:47 -0800 (PST), whisky-dave
wrote:

snip

Well we wouldn't have contacted sales as they'd just say send it back
irrespective of the problem whether there was one or not.

Are you intent on being difficult on everything, even when people are
trying to help you?

Telling me to send the items back

I told you to do no such thing. I suggested they may be faulty and you
might raise the issue with the supplier and / or the manufacturer.

when I don't believe anything is worng

What you *believe* is irrelevant (especially considering how many
people have put so much effort into trying to *help* you / understand)
and you were the one raising the whole issue here in the first place
etc, *especially* why it was cutting from 1600 to 700, not zero watts.

snip

It seems to me more likely that the cut in power to 700W is part of the
radiators' normal, non-fault, temperature control, as this is likely to
be the sort of amount of heat they can dissipate at a normal room
temperature. Beyond this they probably have a thermostat which turns
them completely off when the room reaches the required temperature, and,
very probably, a cut-out which turns them completely off if they reach a
higher, fautl temperature, which should not occur in normal use. I
suggest, as someone else did earlier, covering one up in a couple of
thick blankets and see if it cuts out completely once it gets much
hotter then the temperature where i reduces power to 700W

I am also by no means convinced there is any evidence of a defect
(except for the marketing problem that they probably can't provide more
than about 1kW of space heating at normal room temperature despite being
marked 2kW.)

--

Roger Hayter