Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Drilling Boring Small Straight Holes

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 21 Nov 2017 12:54:35 -0700
"Bob La Londe" wrote:

snip
My first thought was that I might have to make a holder for the
little
boring bars that will fit in the QCTP holder. I'll be drilling and
boring
modestly deep for that size tool.

I've haven't sprung for a QCTP yet nor boring bar set...

The boring bar set I was looking at the other day would work in my
original holder with something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WI6bhDrM7c

Rather than using set screws I was thinking of cutting a couple of
cross slots in a little from either end. Make it so the two outside
setscrews would be able to flex the holder enough to secure the
boring
bar. The two inside set screws would just hold it. One advantage to
rolling your own similar to this is you could make it longer than
the
TP area. Thus providing extra support, rigidity for more reach from
the
tool holder/cross slide. The set screws would be necessary for that
version.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

My first home made boring bit holder was a rod slit lengthwise
horizontally and I regretted it for the loss of shear stiffness. Now I
make custom tool bit holders from bar stock nearly the height of the
QCTP slot.
-jsw