Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electric Heating for a house

On 21/11/2017 15:27, Roger Hayter wrote:
wrote:

I also notice the firm appears to be keen to associate itself with the
green eco brigade,not sure that is a good idea as it means they may be
limiting themselves to that market and putting many others off , and
real eco warriors will be living in a yurt and burning damp sticks.

So well below the market penetration that would make distribution or
stove sales anything like competitive. I would have thought the green
brigade, being basically pastoralist (or whatever is the animal free
version) fascists with luddite and anti-scientific tendencies, would be
somewhat suspicious of the rather high tech machines needed to handle
wood chip.

One of my friends from university looked seriously at getting an auger
based wood chip burning hopper based system (ISTR Austrian maker) but
was put off by the huge volume and high costs. It became clear that
after super insulating his house a tiny wood burning stove could easily
do the job. It has sophisticated heat exchangers on the air inlets and
vents and an array of very high tech features. It amuses me no end that
his base electricity load is responsible for all the waste heat that
keeps his house warm (ie several powerful computers on 24/7).

It might have been these (or a very similar model)
http://www.rika.at/en/rika/

Similar ones but more industrial
http://www.firebird.ie/images/Downlo...Brochure_1.pdf

ISTR thanks to NI government incompetence their farmers are heating
barns with them to claim subsidies that exceed the cost of the fuel!

http://www.irishnews.com/news/2016/1...ution--757584/

--
Regards,
Martin Brown