Ron

Default Craftsman snowblower problem!

It could be that the drive belt for the wheels has come off the pulley. My
old snowblower which was similar to the Craftsman models had a vinyl cover
just behind the discharge chute and in front of the engine. Remove this
cover (snowblower engine OFF) and inspect the belt drive system by having
someone helping you by engaging and disengaging the drive clutch on the
handle of the snowblower.

You should see which belt is being engaged, or should I say, attempting to
be engaged. There is an idler arm assembly that keeps the belt on the
pulleys and also engages the power when the clutch lever is engaged. This is
where I would look for the belt to be disengaged as it is a place where a
lot of wear could have happened to the parts on a machine 20 years old.

If the belt assembly is engaging ok (belt gets tight when the clutch is
engaged) then as one other person suggested, look for the drive shear pin
assembly which will require the removal of the rear cover on the snowblower.
Good luck
--
Ron
Port Dover Ontario
"Corey Dale" wrote in message
m...
Hello.

I have an older (about 20yrs from what I've read) Craftsman snow
thrower/blower (model "536-90520 HC2") with a problem. It is a
self-propelled model.

I bought the unit from the previous owner of my home. I tried it out
about a week ago (for the first time) and it wouldn't start. I took
it to a local shop for a tune-up, and they get it running great after
a minor carb cleaning.

I got it home and used it for the first time last night. It worked
great for the first half of my driveway, then all of a sudden the
wheel drive stopped working. The auger drive still works fine, the
engine still runs fine, but the 4 forward and 1 reverse gears don't do
anything anymore (no more self-proppeled)!!

Could anyone give me some advice/guidance on what the possible cause
could be? Would it be something I could fix easily myself?

Please respond by email and also here for anyone else that may be
having this problem.

Thanks,

Corey Dale
(remove the '.nospam')