Posted to rec.woodworking
Bob Penoyer[_2_] Bob Penoyer[_2_] is offline

Default Bosch Fixed Base Design Flaw

On Tue, 10 Oct 2017 00:25:01 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Dne petek, 06. maj 2016 03.37.39 UTC+2 je oseba Bob Penoyer napisala:
I have a Bosch RA1181 router table. I'm using the fixed base of my
MRC23EVSK router in the table.

The Bosch fixed base (MRF01) has a design flaw, I think. I wonder
about the best way to deal with it.

With the fixed base mounted upside down under the table's top, the
router motor placed in the mount, and the clamping lever loosened, all
of the weight of the motor is supported by the retaining snap ring
(e-clip) attached to the adjustment shaft. This is a very weak
mechanism.

The retaining clip (e-clip) is held in the adjustment shaft by a
shallow groove in the shaft. When the shaft is turned to adjust bit
height, the ring can--and does--slip out of the groove so support of
the motor is lost.

Has anyone else run into this problem? Did you find a way to avoid
this weakness?

Can you please post some pics? I am planing to buy this router although I am aware of this problem (I have already fsn OFA and guide rail system that is why).

No pics. But a better idea than what I described here last year is to
use a drill bit stop collar in place of the e-clip.