Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

Default Google is too clever

On 21/11/17 12:30, Tim Watts wrote:
On 20/11/17 19:27, ARW wrote:
On 19/11/2017 21:29, Tim Watts wrote:
On 19/11/17 18:44, ARW wrote:
All I said to my phone was "Navigate to ******** swimming pool.

It then tells me that I last visited the place twelve months ago.

Not bad going for a place that I only visit once a year to do an EICR.

Go to:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/timeline?authuser=0&pb

and be awed and/or worried....

I am both in awe and worried. Some of those places I have never been to.

Now these are not always places I have put into a Google search entry.

Those places will be somewhere picked up by a GPS enabled Android device
that's logged in as you and enabled for location history.

I know that I once stopped and had a **** in a pub car park on my way
to Filey (she was driving so I drank six cans of beer on the way
there). That's showing as somewhere I have been.

Sounds right.

But the last time I went near Carlisle? Probably 1991.

And no records whatsoever of me going to London. Leicester,
Nottingham, Durham etc.

Curious...

I use mobile broadband for my internet connection. I don't have a
smartphone, just a PC. I sometimes, but not often, log into Google; I
have location etc, disabled. Generally Google thinks my location is
London, sometimes maps etc seem to think I am elsewhere, but not
Somerset which is where I am.
In the summer I was in Italy, using my mobile broadband. A friend from
Rome, who has an android smartphone with location on arrived in the
village, and was rather surprised when his timeline location suddenly
announced he was not only making a visit to Somerset but to the very
hamlet where I now live.

--
djc

(–€Ì¿Ä¹Ì¯–€Ì¿ Ì¿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.