Posted to alt.home.repair
KenK KenK is offline

Default Measuring A/C current

KenK wrote in
:

I'm trying to find out what current my space heater uses. Says 1500
watts; that's about 12A. I have a clamp-on current meter. Is there a
trick to using one of these on a power cord or do you have to have
some kind of adapter to split the power cord lines?

Any way to do this to make it simple? I have some other thinfs, like a
radio, that I'd like to measure too. (Trying to run my space heater
and a radio off the same receptacle.)

TIA

Using line splitter, I found my Ideal Split-Jaw Smart-Meter clamp-on
meter will not read less than 0.6 A. so can't measure my radios' curret
usage, but measured the heater's 12.5 A OK. I think it is around 500 mA.
Ideal is the first eter I've had that had a minimum measurement cut-off.
I can unerstand maximum but...