Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Does this VIDEO depict a bad 3 phase motor?

On Mon, 20 Nov 2017 20:32:29 -0600, Ignoramus26205
wrote:

I sold a supposedly rebuilt 3 phase 10 hp motor to a customer.

So you're wondering if it's an Al Special rebuilt (blow off and
repaint sans masking) or an actual rebuild?

The customer contacted me and is claiming that the motor is
defective, citing vibration and noise.

I asked him to make a video.

As a proof of this, he produced the following video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn6bnva0Q0g

As I watched it, and looking at the water in cup, I could not but feel
that it is a totally normal motor. However, as I would like to be sure
of whether I am right, or wrong, I wanted to ask your opinion.

Does the above motor sound bad and does it vibrate excessively?

A 10hp motor with three or four tenths of vibration? Get out.
That big guy is purring.

There's a little something in the sound that bothers me on a minor
level, but I'd want a stethoscope to verify that it's from one of the
motor bearings and nothing else in the room. Just a harshness.
I wonder if a screwdriver held against the bearing housing and up
against the phone would pick anything up.

--
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds
are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her