Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Does this VIDEO depict a bad 3 phase motor?

On Mon, 20 Nov 2017 20:32:29 -0600, Ignoramus26205
wrote:

I sold a supposedly rebuilt 3 phase 10 hp motor to a customer.

The customer contacted me and is claiming that the motor is
defective, citing vibration and noise.

I asked him to make a video.

As a proof of this, he produced the following video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn6bnva0Q0g

As I watched it, and looking at the water in cup, I could not but feel
that it is a totally normal motor. However, as I would like to be sure
of whether I am right, or wrong, I wanted to ask your opinion.

Does the above motor sound bad and does it vibrate excessively?

thanks

Yes. It seems to have at least one bad bearing in it and at least one
of the internal balancing weights ,( or more) has come up missing (if
its not the type balanced by drilling away metal..

That is a decent quality motor. First thing Id do..is remove the rear
endbell and roll it 90', reassemble, run..check for out of balance,
roll another 90' etc etc..and see if one position makes it run
smoother.

Id also pull the stator and see if something is stuck in the
stator..something that got the balance off. If it was rewound..they
may..may have managed to get something jammed into the stator and its
causing it to be out of balance. Its also possible that they broke
something and its now out of balance.

Ive seen rewind shops really **** up a simple rebuild job..which is
why Im very...very careful about who I take motors to.

Gunner

---