Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Don't Buy This Blade

On Mon, 20 Nov 2017 20:38:21 -0600, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 11/20/17 8:19 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 20 Nov 2017 17:35:39 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 11/19/2017 5:23 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I have a lot of plywood to cut for my bookcase project, so I thought I'd
try this blade. For $10, I didn't really expect much, but I figured I'd
give it a shot. Never tried a 200 tooth blade before. More is better,
right?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Avanti-1...200X/202021698

I had a fairly new 40 tooth Diablo on the table saw so I made a few test cuts
on a piece of 3/4 plywood to have something to compare the Avanti to. An
easy push through the blade and nice clean cut.

Then I tried the Avanti. Within the first couple of inches, it was apparent
that I'll have to take numerous breaks and even maybe a nap or two once I
start my project. The amount of effort required to get through 12" of 3/4"
plywood was astounding. I've got over 100' to finish cut on the table saw.
I'm tired just thinking about using that blade.

What about the quality of the cut, you ask? It sucks.

I don't know if this image is clear enough, but the top piece is the
Diablo cut, the bottom is the Avanti.

https://i.imgur.com/leZfTbI.jpg

I've got an 84 tooth laminate/non-ferrous metal Diablo blade that I've
used on my miter saw to cut a small amount of aluminum. I haven't tried
that yet...don't have time tonight. Thoughts?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Diablo-1...084L/100660707

Quality TRUMPS cheap every time.

My Forrest WWII 40 tooth blades do an amazing job with plywood. Pricey
but I only have to remove the blade to have it resharpened or to mount a
stacked dado. I use no dedicated plywood, crosscut, or rip blades.

Perhaps but the Freud Glue-Line Rip is one sweet blade. Another
useful blade is the #1 grind.

I love the Glue-Line!

It's certainly worth the bother of changing blades.

Is the #1 grind the flat top one?

Yes.
https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/forrestwoodworkerii10x40toothno1squarecutblade18ke rf.aspx