Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

Default Phone Charging

On Tue, 21 Nov 2017 11:58:18 +1000, "David Eather"
wrote:

On Mon, 20 Nov 2017 17:39:34 +1000, rickman wrote:

Jeff Liebermann wrote on 11/19/2017 8:02 PM:
On Sun, 19 Nov 2017 17:27:10 -0500, rickman wrote:

A friend has an old Motorolla W376g phone and the charger can't be
found.

Mini USB connector. You'll need to add a 200k resistor and short pins
2 and 4:

I just realized this connector resistor issue is not likely to be my
problem... I think. I can charge this phone using two generic adapters
I have. One is a box with six high current outputs, at least two rated
for 2.1 amps and the other four rated for 1 amp or maybe 4 and 2 (other
way around). The other unit that will work with the phone is a car
charger, but then that one is also a high current charger. They are all
connected with the same cable and I'm pretty sure the charger end of the
cable only has four pins so there is no place to connect the resistor to
the "ID" pin.

This phone won't charge from my laptop, so I don't think the phone is
negotiating anything over the USB data pins, or maybe it is? I don't
think either of the chargers have a USB host built in and the laptop
clearly does.

I'm still stumped.

Some usb leads for chargers only run the +5 and Gnd - so they can't be
used on PC's etc

They're known as "charging cables", for the obvious reason. "Charging
and download", or some such, have all the wires. They're bulkier,
less flexible, so there is a reason for both.