Posted to alt.home.repair

Default quick and dirty tips for better insulating zonal heated room?

On 11/20/17 11:12 AM, JBI wrote:
This year, to try and save oil costs, I'm attempting zonal heating of
the room most occupied in my house, about 120 sq feet, using a Honeywell
portable electric heater placed roughly in the center of the floor.
Currently, I'm operating the heater on the lowest, 750 watt setting, and
it's maintaining a fairly comfortable 70 F with outdoor temps around 47
F.Â* It has been running continuously for 7 hours.Â* However, I don't
think this will be efficient enough once temps drop more, and the idea
is to run the heater less if possible.Â* Since only one person occupies
this room (me), does anyone have any quick and dirty tips for better
insulating the room?Â* I could easily get by, for example, using just
half of the room space.Â* I have to be careful with spending... if I have
to go and buy too much insulation, then that will undo the costs I'm
trying to save.Â* Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

People used to cover the windows of the old farm houses with
some form of plastic. They'd make the covers overlap any cracks between
the windows and the frames. Laths would hold the covers in place.