Posted to alt.home.repair
JBI JBI is offline

Default quick and dirty tips for better insulating zonal heated room?

On 11/20/2017 03:14 PM, Iggy wrote:
replying to JBI, Iggy wrote:
Spend your money on the ceiling and circulate the room's air with a
small fan
aimed at the ceiling. Hot air rises, so you want to retain the heat for as
long as possible...this is what insulation does, it doesn't "stop"
anything.
If you have access to an attic above the ceiling, then Batt insulation
will be
your best value. If you can't insulate anything but the room itself, then
Rigid Foam Panels are your only choice and can be screwed or glued
directly to
the ceiling.

Even 1-inch thick Rigid Foam Panels with an R-value of just 4 will make a
noticeable difference and the Home Improvement stores have them starting at
about $15 each for a 4-foot by 8-foot panel. 2-inch thick panels are, of
course, just about double the R-value and cost. If the ceiling isn't quite
enough and you feel a breeze or drafts, then you'd do the same to any
exterior
wall(s) as your next course of action. Sorry but, blankets and rugs tacked
anywhere don't do much of anything.

You know what, I have a ceiling fan right there and have forgotten all
about its possible use! So, I've just started it with the blades going
clockwise (which is reversed from what it was). Now I'll see if that
makes any difference.