Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default quick and dirty tips for better insulating zonal heated room?

On 11/20/2017 12:12 PM, JBI wrote:
This year, to try and save oil costs, I'm attempting zonal heating of
the room most occupied in my house, about 120 sq feet, using a Honeywell
portable electric heater placed roughly in the center of the floor.
Currently, I'm operating the heater on the lowest, 750 watt setting, and
it's maintaining a fairly comfortable 70 F with outdoor temps around 47
F.Â* It has been running continuously for 7 hours.Â* However, I don't
think this will be efficient enough once temps drop more, and the idea
is to run the heater less if possible.Â* Since only one person occupies
this room (me), does anyone have any quick and dirty tips for better
insulating the room?Â* I could easily get by, for example, using just
half of the room space.Â* I have to be careful with spending... if I have
to go and buy too much insulation, then that will undo the costs I'm
trying to save.Â* Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

With the one of the highest electric rates in the country here in CT.
that electric heater would cost more than running my oil burner for the
entire house.

Your heater on low would cost me 16 cents an hour. You do have to
maintain the rest of the house above freezing too.

Your 7 hours is about 17,500 BTU of energy. I would use 23 cents in oil
to generate that heat versus $1.12 for electric. My point is, your
savings overall may be less than anticipated and you will be living in a
half room like a prisoner in solitary.

To insulate more you can put up some foam panels on the outside wall or
hang a drop cloth or curtains to block off part of the room. Be sure
you have plenty of roof insulation in the entire house as that is the
biggest heat loser.

..0000016