Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electric Heating for a house

On 20/11/17 15:13, Andy Bennet wrote:
On 20/11/17 10:31, Steve Jones wrote:
I have a friend who has asked me advice on his heating. The house has
no gas, and has a mixture of storage heating and a wood burner back
boiler driving some radiators for the rooms that don't have storage
heaters. The house had economy 7 but the current supplier does not
support it, though it still has a dual meter and teleswitch.
The back boiler needs a constant supply of wood which is proving
onerous.
He needs a more controllable heat, he has an aging mother there too,
and would like to be able to turn on the storage heaters when he needs
them, which involves bypassing the teleswitch but i am not sure if the
bricks in the storage heaters would delay any heat output, we are
trying to do this as cheaply as possible.
We could replace the radiators with electric ones or remove the bricks
from the storage heaters and bypass the teleswitch and use the same
wiring?

Replace the back boiler with an electric boiler and more rads?
Any ideas for the cheapest option.

If the insulation is reasonable use an air source heat pump driving a
sealed wet radiator systrem, and have a mans pressure DHW tank with
immersion top up. (heat pumps cant do the temeperature)

You may need bigger rads as heatpumps tend to not deliver water much
over 40C

LG ThermaV range has a high temperature variant which will pump out up
to 16kW at 80degC for retrofitting into a conventional wet system. They
now have MCS approval meaning you can get a useful government grant
worth up to about £6k over 7 years.

The slight dissadvantage of the high temperature variant is a reduced
COP in the range 210% at -7 deg C outside ambient, to 260% at +7 degC
outside ambient.

That looks very interesting actually. I didnt know that

or condoning; the full, exact, specific meaning of collectivism, of its
logical implications, of the principles upon which it is based, and of
the ultimate consequences to which these principles will lead. They must
face it, then decide whether this is what they want or not.

Ayn Rand.