Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default British Workers Wanted - Channel 4

On Friday, 17 November 2017 19:13:06 UTC, tim... wrote:
"Fredxxx" wrote in message
news
On 17/11/2017 17:40, Graeme wrote:
In message , Fredxxx
writes
On 17/11/2017 16:50, Graeme wrote:

A quick Google suggests a loaf of bread was 9p (decimal) in 1970, and
53p now. I was earning roughly 650pa, including London weighting, call
that £13pw or 32.5p per hour. One hour bought almost four loaves.
Today, minimum wage of £7.50ph would buy fourteen loaves.

You're being very disingenuous.

Sorry! It was certainly not intentional. I just Googled the price of a
loaf in 1970 and this popped up, from the Guardian :

'With the benefit of 34 years' hindsight, life in 1970 appears to have
been ludicrously cheap. A loaf of bread cost 9p and the average weekly
wage was around £32. Today, a loaf costs 53p'

I realise 1970 plus 34 is not 2017, but given that others mentioned 50p,
53p seemed close enough.

Perhaps I was OTT too.

A loaf can cost 53p. Most bakeries around me charge £1.50 and most
historical price equivalences don't generally compare bargain basement
prices.

I don't think bargain basement bread existed 30 years ago

It's always existed, in the early days of bread making they'd add anything to bulk out the bread to the poor.

Bread was adulterated with plaster of Paris, bean flour, chalk or alum.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25259505

The key clue being that bakeries could make a profit selling the basic
staples, whereas now they can't (having to diversity into lunchtime snacks
to still exist at all)

tim