Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal
Terry Casey Terry Casey is offline

Default British Workers Wanted - Channel 4

In article ,
says...

the machines on London buses can't read the chips on out of town passes.

they have to rely on the Mark 1 eyeball

tim

Yes - I was rather surprised by this as they are all ITSO
cards.

When I moved to Lincolnshire, my London Freedom Pass worked
on the local buses but, when I returned to London armed with
a Lincolnshire pass, the reader came up with:

ITSO card - please show driver

which surprised me somewhat!

However, the London system does now offer a flexible system
for chargeable fares which can be very useful to folk
visiting London.

All London buses have been cash-free for some time now so
that the only way visitors could use the buses originally
was to buy an Oyster card and load it with money which
invariably meant that visitors left not only with a card
that they'd had to pay for but also any unused credit.

Now, though, any NFC enabled credit or debit card can ne
used for travel with no additional costs.

It is important, if you have more than one NFC card, to
ensure that you always use the same card as fares are capped
after 3 or 4 journeys (can't remember which) and no further
charge is made for journeys made before 0430 the following
day. Obviously, if you don't keep the card you are using
separate, the system will use whichever card it reads first
which means that you might start separate accounts on all
your cards such that you are unlikely to benefit from the
cap on any of them!

The system is smart enough that, if you stay longer, it will
apply the weekly cap if that is more beneficial to you.

--

Terry

---
http://www.avg.com