Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal
JNugent[_4_] JNugent[_4_] is offline

Default British Workers Wanted - Channel 4

On 19/11/2017 16:46, Brian Reay wrote:

Â*Â*Â* JNugent wrote:

I have never seen a house with no heating. The Georgian house I lived in
in the 1950s had a fireplace in every room except the bathroom and the
kitchen.

You've not looked very hard. My parents house built in the '30s had no
form of heating in the bedrooms. Not even a power socket as built.

Is that a house with no heating?

As a youngster, I lived in several council houses built in the '50s or
'60s which had bedrooms without heating. As I recall, the 'master
bedroom' had a radiator heated via a radiator which was heated by the
coal fire in the sitting room. The other bedroom/rooms had nothing. I
think the kitchen had a similar radiator. I think the system was
referred to as a 'back boiler' and also heated the hot water.

Even the most modern flat we later moved to, which had under floor
heating, had no heating in the bedrooms- just the sitting room and hall.
That was built in the mid 60s, we moved into it in 1968.

The first house I bought (with only an electric fire in the living room
and no means of heating elsewhere) was built in 1973.