Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default British Workers Wanted - Channel 4

"pamela" wrote in message
On 17:28 19 Nov 2017, Rod Speed wrote:

"pamela" wrote in message
On 16:18 19 Nov 2017, soup wrote:

On 19/11/2017 15:55, Rod Speed wrote:

But it doesnt say that 1 in 20 adults CANT READ OR WRITE.

It claims that 1 in 20 would be unable read a bus timetable
and I dont believe that 1 in 20 school leavers can't use
facebook or twitter either. And plenty like cleaners dont
need to do better than literacy level 1 anyway. And I bet
plenty who the official test claim are at literacy level 1 or
below can use facebook and twitter fine, so the literacy
level test is just another academic wank as far as the real
world is concerned anyway.

Headline :-

"Illiterate Britain: 1 in 20 adults have reading age of a
5-year-old."

I take it 'they' take a reading age of 5 as functionally
illiterate

It 'says' a quarter of adults can't understand/use a timetable

If you want to see a country with really bad literacy rates
then take a look at Australia. The figures from the Audtralia
Bureau of Statistics is shocking. I wonder if any of their
illiterates post here.

"Eight million Australians with inadequate skills is about 53
percent of the working-age population"

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/04/04/australians_
cannot_read_or _count/

And yet all but 5% have jobs. Just goes to show what a complete
wank the 'literacy rates' are.

It goes to show just how many of the illerate
population are forced to work in Australia,

No one is forced to work here. Its much easier to
bludge off the system here, particularly for women.

All you need is more than a couple of kids to end
up with a higher real standard of living on what
you lot call benefits than say running a checkout
at a supermarket or being a hairdresser etc.

when they would be better off studying.

Only a fool would claim that everyone can do better by studying.