Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default British Workers Wanted - Channel 4

"soup" wrote in message
On 19/11/2017 15:55, Rod Speed wrote:

But it doesnt say that 1 in 20 adults CANT READ OR WRITE.

It claims that 1 in 20 would be unable read a bus timetable and
I dont believe that 1 in 20 school leavers can't use facebook or
twitter either. And plenty like cleaners dont need to do better
than literacy level 1 anyway. And I bet plenty who the official
test claim are at literacy level 1 or below can use facebook
and twitter fine, so the literacy level test is just another
academic wank as far as the real world is concerned anyway.

Headline :-

"Illiterate Britain: 1 in 20 adults have reading age of a 5-year-old."

Which is nothing even remotely like CANT READ OR WRITE.

I take it 'they' take a reading age of 5 as functionally illiterate

It 'says' a quarter of adults can't understand/use a timetable

All completely irrelevant to the bare faced lie that
20-25% of native adults CANT READ OR WRITE.

And 1 in 20 isnt anything like 20-25% either.